Thursday, January 31, 2013

A Birthday Blessing

The 24th of January to most is just another day of the year. To me, it just so happens to be the day that my mother experienced the joy of bringing me into the world. Yes me, weighing in at 8lb and 9oz at approximately 8:50PM on a Tuesday night. (Okay, most people probably don’t know all those exact details and to be honest I didn’t know them either until I was going through some stuff prepping for my trip to Guatemala.)  Anyways, growing up you always hear of people reaching their ‘special day’’ aka the day when you turn the age the same date as the day you were born. (For me it was 24 on the 24th) Go figure that this special birthday would happen while I was here in Guatemala….CRAZY!!! Most people (I think) think of this day as some sort of milestone in the path of birthdays you encounter throughout life but I however, was going to look at it as just another birthday that, if the Lord be willing, I’d be able to experience.

I arrived to Guatemala ten days before my birthday. During the week before I left Guatemala City to come to Xela, I was able to spend a day with my friends Ligia and Gabi in Antigua where we explored the city and the sites. I was also treated to breakfast at a fancy restaurant (well fancy to me) that seemed like we were going on an adventure into the rainforest. It was soooooo beautiful (and the food was delicious.)  We also had lunch at this pizza place (the name escapes me) where I was surprised with a slice of traditional Guatemalan cake that was filled with yummy surprises. I felt like a pretty special girl that day and it wasn’t even my birthday.

 
The following week, I started language school and of course one of the easier conversational questions you can ask a person is Cuantos Años y Cuando es tu Cumpleaños? In no time the whole school knew that my birthday was later in the week. On the plus side, a cool fact I found out was that another student and I had birthdays a day apart. That usually never happens for me.  Even better than that was finding someone here in Guatemala who shares the same birthdate as me…same day just a ‘few’ years apart. HOW COOL!!! I’ve never found anyone that has the same birthdate as me.

On the morning of birthday, everyone that was home when I came down for breakfast greeted me with lots of hugs and spoke many blessings over me. (That the Lord would bless me to see many more years and that He would continue to look over my life.) It was so awesome because it felt like I was right back at home with my family and friends (although this year I wasn’t woken up at like 530/6 AM getting sung to.) I continued to receive lots more hugs and blessing throughout the day. At school, I was even surprised with a cake to share with everyone (which was pretty tasty.) Later in the night we went to the house of my host mother’s brother, whose wife shared the same birthday as me. The entire family came over to celebrate our birthdays…and by this I mean at least 30 people all around a table exchanging conversations and enjoying snacks and a real amazing dinner. The one thing that I found to be interesting was that normally (maybe this is just for me) whosever birthday it is, they are usually the one being served and people are always doing special things for them. What I noticed about my birthday sharing partner was that instead of being served, she was doing the serving. To be honest, I feel like I never saw her sit down to eat and if she did sit down, it’d be for a few minutes and then she’d be back up to clear plates or make sure someone else got seconds. I’ve never really seen this happen, but I was blessed so much by this.   

Most times, if it’s your birthday, the day is all about you. But on my birthday, I didn’t need it to be all about me. I was overcome with joy seeing this lady and her heart of service on a day when she ‘should be’ served. I was reminded that God created each of us for a purpose. I knew that in watching her, God was showing me that I have a heart and desire to help and serve others. I was birthed with a purpose.

 As the night went on, my birthday partner made her way over to me and my friend Liz and told us that this was her family gathering and that we were now a part of her family. =) This was the best birthday present. I love knowing that even though my family is back home in New York, God is blessing me with family here in Guatemala which makes me feel right at home.


So needless to say, although I didn’t plan anything super big or special for my ‘special day’, I’m thankful that God blessed with one of the biggest presents a person could ask for: a heart of service and lots of love to share. So Happy Birthday Me and my birthday sharing partner (whose name I really need to learn) and may you that is reading this be blessed to know that God also created you for a special purpose. May you soon seek and find what that purpose is.

“But it should not be that way among you. Whoever wants to become great among you must serve the rest of you like a servant. Whoever wants to become first among you must serve the rest of you like a slave. In the same way the Son of Man did not come to be served. He came to serve others and to give His life as a ransom for many.” Matthew 20: 26-28

(I’m also thankful that my little 6 year old brother Carlitos went out of his way and bought me an almond snickers bar and my friend Liz got me a post card of Guatemala with an encouraging note and a cool Guatemalan bracelet.)

 

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely beautiful! I am so glad you had such a wonderful Birthday and were so willing to share with us what God is trying to get everyone to understand. We all have a purpose we just need to keep seeking Him to find it. May God continue to bless you.

    Love,
    Melsisa

    ReplyDelete