Sunday, March 31, 2013

Being a Blessing to Others is the Best Gift to Give...

For most today is the day we celebrate Easter, a day when the kids go out and find all the eggs the Easter bunny left behind in hidden areas and receive a basket filled with delicious treats. However here in Guatemala I can honestly say that Easter and the Easter bunny don’t really exist.

Here in Guatemala we have been celebrating Semana Santa (or Holy week). The biggest event that I have noticed during this week are the processions (or parades) where several people are clothed in purple robes (or black or white dresses if you are a woman) carrying these rather large and elaborately decorated floats down the streets. Here in Xela these processions started on Thursday and continued through Saturday (but there may have been one early Easter morning as well…I just didn’t see it).

The floats depict scenes of Jesus’ arrival into Jerusalem, the crucifixion, Jesus in the tomb, the resurrection, the Virgin Mary as well as a few other scenes. Some floats are so large that 80 or more people are needed to carry them and by carry I mean on their shoulders, up and down hills, men women and children for a decent amount of time. In this culture it is an honor to be a part of the processions and to carry one of the floats.


The young girls carrying their float.
The young boys carrying their float.


However, if you’re not a float carrier than it is possible that you and your family create Alfombras (or carpets) that are made out of colored sawdust (but can also be made by pine needles, flowers, and fruit). These are created right in the streets and are also very large. They depict themes of whatever the designer wants relating to Jesus, the cross or other church oriented symbols. (I must say out of all that I saw, the Alfombras were my favorite.) After spending hours creating these alfombras, the procession proceeds over them, ruining the pictures. However, the people that have spent hours creating these alfombras don’t get upset, rather they are honored that procession passed over their work of art.







 Overall I would say that it’s been a fun an interesting week however I can say that the one thing I did not enjoy was incense that were burnt during the processions.

Although Semana Santa has been great, this is the first Easter that I have not been home with my family to celebrate. Easter for me does include an Easter basket filled with lots fun goodies (what can I say it’s tradition). However more importantly Easter (or Resurrection Day) is a day we celebrate the fact that after Jesus had given His life dying on the cross for our sins, rose from the dead. For me it’s a day to remember that although Jesus suffered a lot of pain, agony, and sadness He still gave the greatest gift to mankind which was His life so that WE could have salvation…how amazing is that!!!



Although I have no gifts that could even compare to what Jesus gave, I felt the need to give my family here in Xela a little something special. I prepared an Easter basket of goodies including chips, candies, cookies, chocolates, drink mixes, things for the kitchen and more. I wanted them to feel special on today like many do in the States but more so I wanted to show them that love goes a far ways and that like Jesus gave His life we can give love to each other even if it’s shown through a basket of goodies. My family here is Christian as well so we shared in celebration that Jesus rose from the dead while my family enjoyed their basket of love.



              Gotta love Easter or Resurrection Day!!

 

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVED your blog of Easter (Holy WEEK)! You are so inspireing to anyone that reads it. the pictures are so true to life, I am just amazed. The little girls and people carrying the floats are amazing!
    Loveya,
    Mammer

    ReplyDelete